Welcome to the LAST EVER popolio pop quiz interview at THE REAL popolio. It was nice synergy that the way the September pop quiz scheduling happened there were actually 3 and not the usual 2. Nice synergy because we’re closing our doors at 3 years and as an aside, I feel 3 (and multiples of) is my lucky number.
That said, I’m very excited that it features San Francisco-based band, Scissors For Lefty, because they were there at the very beginning. Made up of two sets of brothers and an uncle (that’s 2, 2, and 1), it’s all in the family for SFL, for what’s a fun and interesting indie pop outfit delivering the unexpected.
They were the first band (and second overall artist) to be featured with pop quizzes in the 3 year history of popolio. popolio debuted in September 2008 and SFL were featured the very next month in October.
In fact, October 2008 was officially Scissors For Lefty Month at popolio with each member of the 5-member band featured with an individual pop quiz interview every Friday of that month. It was a formula I hoped to exploit with other bands and groups, but I only ended up doing it with these guys.
Since I basically went back to the Year 1 pop quiz format for Year 3, I had the whole group do the Year 2 format that I called the 2.0 version. Since they had already been there, done that; no need to beat a dead horse.
Two of the original Year 1 SFL pop quizzes made MY TOP 30: Year 1 Posts of ALL-TIME! based on overall hits per post. Vocalist, Bryan Garza, got the Number 24 spot and his just married (about a week or so ago to be more exact) bassist brother, Steve Garza, showed up at Number 17. Nice extra treat — the first featured pic is from the wedding!
Congrats to Steve for his recent nuptials and a HUGE shout out SFL, collectively, for doing this! I appreciate you being there at the hopeful beginning and popping back up for the bitter ending. (I jest. I jest. I’m not bitter. Okay, maybe I am, but that’s not what I mean.) Seriously, guys, I won’t forget this! Enjoy their collective Year 3 pop quiz 2.0 interview below.
See the original Year 1 SFL pop quizzes:
September 30, 2011
Name: Scissors For Lefty
Forthcoming Release: Drugstore Perfume (TBD)
Release Date: Early 2012
This, That, or the Other
1.Straight-Up Funk or Down-and-Dirty Punk? Hmmm, more like 1983 for Rough Trade Records? Down-and-Purdy Punk?
2. Lyrics or Beats? Lyrics and Melodies
3. Fan-Favorite or Critics’ Darling? A Homemade Fan-Favorite
4. Closed Fist or Open Hand? It’ll slap you around on a few tracks…but, only, of course, if you’re into that kind of thing.
5. Wall Flower, Life of the Party, or Dancing Your @$$ off? Life of the Party with a Few Easter Eggs
Fill in the Blank
6. Music keeps me close to my pals.
7. If I wasn’t a musical artist I’d be a good-natured transient.
8. My favorite all-time music videos are “I Feel It All” by Feist and “Lust For Life” by Girls.
9. If I could have a super power it would be Band Van Transformer because apartment rent would magically appear in the band’s wallets each month.
10. Peace, Love, and Happiness should change to Get, A, and Job.
11. Musicianship means: On tour, it means connecting with people, whether it be against the stage, at the hotel or at the truck stop. Off tour, it means keeping vision for the darndest of rough ideas and seeing them through…
12. If I could convey one perfect thought or sentiment through one perfect song it would be: Naked Mario Party to the Death, Bring It!!!
13. If I could change one thing about myself it would be: My fear of letting other people drive the band van.
14. Wild Card! You get me all bothered, cool, then, hot, then, hotter, I’m gonna’ blow midnight screening dollars cuz it’s empty in the back row of your movie adaptation…
15. The most important thing to me RIGHT NOW is: Finishing the album and singing an Elvis cover song with my mom for my brother’s wedding.
Scissors For Lefty’s favorite all-time videos!
Since SFL is still currently working on their forthcoming release, they have no new stuff to share. They did share these, though! Not one, but two, unreleased B-Sides, “Hard Times” and “‘Lil Airplane,” to tide you over until then. Listen below and click on the pic to get to their recently created Facebook Page and ‘like’ it!