18. Jon Sandler pop quiz
The SXSW2011 pop quiz streak has been broken. New York area pop-folk rocker, Jon Sandler is the one who has done it.
I feature artists from around the country and the world. When they are from or based in Texas I highlight that in the title of the post by including the city they are connected to. When they are not from Texas, I do not. But, that is not to say there aren’t other cities that have a strong representation at THE REAL popolio. I have featured many a artist from New York. Especially Brooklyn. Boston has made a strong showing through the years, too.
His pop quiz interview, posted on Friday, February 25, 2011, takes the Year 3 Number 18 spot. It was the second pop quiz of February 2011. The first posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 and featured Love and Logic.
Name: Jon Sandler
Debut Release: The Fancy Band EP (super duper records)
Release Date: May 11, 2010
This, That, or the Other 1. Underground OR Mainstream? Mainstream 2.Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (OR Both)??? Maintain Artistic Integrity
3.Studio OR Stage? Stage 4.Spirituality OR Hedonism? Spiritual Hedonism
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? %$*!
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my air.
7. I’m musically inspired by life.
8. If I could have made any music video it would have been “This Too Shall Pass” by OK Go.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Late Night Champ Man.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll…so yeah, no change.
Short Answer 11. I make music because: I wrote my first song when I was 9, before I really understood what I was doing. I started singing and playing guitar and songs just came out of me. I never thought about what I wanted to say, it was always raw emotion coming out in that form. I soon came to realize that it was a gift to have that outlet for my feelings and thoughts to be released and I felt very lucky when I realized that people actually liked what I was creating. I still make music because I love it, but it has evolved into a way to give back. I love that people are relating to and feeling comfort from my songs.
12. I want my fans to: Individually take from and interpret my songs in whatever way makes sense for them. I want them to feel happiness, comfort, or any emotion they want to feel when listening and trust that my intentions are good.
13. If I could only share one thing about myself it would be: I can do a shockingly good mouth trumpet.
14. Wild Card!With people being exposed and having access to so much music these days, it is more important than ever for music lovers to evaluate artists who are on their way up. It is great that there are music blogs like THE REAL popolio that help sort through the masses and I am honored to be included!
15. I want my musical legacy to be: I’d like to be remembered as a great songwriter, an amazing performer, someone who never settled for “normal,” and always pushed the envelope and, above all, a good person.
The video Jon Sandler wishes he would have made!
Listen to “Nowhere Bound” from Jon Sandler’s debut EP, The Fancy Band. Click on the cover to go to his official site.