3. Roach Gigz pop quiz The SXSW2011 popolio pop quiz interview domination on this countdown concludes. San Francisco-based hip hopper, Roach Gigz, takes the Year 3 Number 3 spot with his SXSW pop quiz. This is the sixth overall and now highest and final SXSW 2011 pop quiz entry on this countdown. Roach Gigz joins Canada’s BRAIDS at Number 30, Australia’s the Jezabels at Number 23, Japan’s Peelander-Z at Number 21, ATX’s own, Quiet Company, at Number 20, and Mexico’s She’s a Tease at Number 19 .
Genre: Garage Pop/Glam
Upcoming Debut Release:
Chinaski EP (Self-Released)
Release Date: Early October 2011
This, That, or the Other 1. Underground OR Mainstream? Whatever the kids are buying.
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (OR Both)??? Integrity, definitely.
3. Studio OR Stage? Studio
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Spirituality sounds like a patchouli-scented, tempeh-eating dude with a wispy beard going on about “one-ness,” whilst Hedonism sounds like an oily, weasely dude with a lot of gold chains and a waterbed. So, we’re going to have to go with neither.
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? The last one.
Fill in the Blank 6. Music is my aeroplane (joke). Actually, music is the only thing that keeps us sane.
7. I’m musically inspired by we’re a band with very disparate tastes, that’s what makes us so interesting to me. I love the Clash, the Hold Steady, Springsteen (I could go on forever). Dan, our singer and main songwriter, loves the Stones. Ross, our drummer, is also in a Brazilian drum group. We bring in a lot of different influences.
8. If I could have made any music video it would have been one of those old live videos by the Clash that they cut from the movie, Rude Boy. Probably “I Fought the Law.”
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Batman. Rich, successful, and kick-ass.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to Girlfriends, Microbrew, and Day Jobs.
11. I make music because: Be it writing, painting, whatever your bag is, the act of creation is probably one of the most thrilling things in the world. And, where else but music can you have so much fun doing it?
12. I want my fans to: Have a damn good time. Rock and Roll is best when, on the surface it sounds dumb, but when you dive deeper there’s a lot to chew on. 13. If I could only share one thing about myself it would be: We’re having a hell of a lot of fun.
14. Wild Card! If you haven’t already, do yourself a favor and go watch The Last Waltz.
15. I want my musical legacy to be: A glib answer would be something like, “I want us to be as big as the Beatles, the Stones, and U2 combined!” But, really, if twenty years from now, a couple of friends are talking and one goes, “Hey, remember that band, Chinaski?” And, the other answers, “Oh, YEAH! Those guys were pretty damn cool!” I’ll be a happy man.
Watch the video Chinaski wish they would have made!
Listen to “Do Do Do” from Chinaski’s forthcoming self-titled EP. Click on the logo to go to their Facebook Page.
Like the Joker, San Francisco-based rapper, Roach Gigz, is a master madcap, harboring a sardonic mind and killing it with his skills.
Roach Gigz plays 21+ shows at the Scoot Inn (1308 E. 4th Street) next Thursday, March 17, 2011, and Nuvola (105 E. 5th Street) next Friday, March 18, 2011, both starting at 9:50PM.
March 8, 2011 UPDATE: Coincidentally, MTV featured Roach Gigz with an interview on their MTV2Sucker Free Countdown on Sunday and, yesterday, we kicked off our SXSW pop quizzes with Roach Gigz! Watch the Sucker Free video. If THE REAL popolio was Twitter, we’d be trending.
This, That, or the Other 1. Underground OR Mainstream? Understream 2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (OR Both)??? Both, I wanna’ make money of my visions. 3. Studio OR Stage? Studio 4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Spirituality 5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? All three at the same time…If I had to pick one it would be make love.
Fill in the Blank 6. Music is my wife.
7. I’m musically inspired by my thoughts and Mac Dre.
8. If I could have made any music video it would have been a tale of drugs and growing upby Roachy Scorzaazii.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be your daddy.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to __________________, __________________, and __________________. (OR Not) That will never change.
Short Answer 11. I make music because: I love to hear my voice coming out of other people’s cars. 12. I want my fans to: Love my music and understand how thankful I am for them.
13. If I could only share one thing about myself it would be: Left Blank 14. Wild Card! I’m addicted to the taco truck by my house. 15. I want my musical legacy to be: I want to be great.
Editor’s Note: I appreciate Roach Gigz creativity and humor, but since he did not choose an actual music video for Number 5, I chose one. Because of his appreciation for Scorsese, here’s Nas’ “Street Dreams,” which pays homage to Casino.
Listen to “Hold Up” featuring J Stalin from Roach Gigz’ latest release, Roachy Balboa 2 Mixtape. Click on the cover to go to his official site.