Click the pics to get to the posts.
pop outside the box
02 Oct 2011 Leave a Comment
in MY TOP 10 Tags: 101X, 2011, Austin, B-May, Boy + Kite, Cigarettes After Sex, Dallas, Day vs Night, El Paso, Extras Call, freddie beat, Freddie Rodriguez, Garland, GOBI, JADA, Neon Desert Music Festival, Pop Pistol, popolio, REAL popolio, Roach Gigz, Room to Read Austin Chapter, Room to Rock, SALVO, San Antonio, Sariah, Sophie B. Hawkins, Splendid Sun Productions, Stephanie Salvo, SXSW, The Blistering Speeds, The Lusitania, The Royalty, Zach Paul
Click the pics to get to the posts.
22 Sep 2011 1 Comment
in MY TOP 10 Tags: "Can I Live", B-May, BET, Boston, Bristol Entertainment, Bristol Studios, call sheet, Dallas, Dragon Ball Z, extras, Garland, Gohan, hip hop, I Believe I Can Fly, JADA, JADA Music Video Extras, Jonathon Sisco, music video, music video shoot, Point Blank Recordings, pop, R&B, R. Kelly, talent release form, The Game, This Party's On Fire
MY TOP 30: Year 3 Posts of ALL-TIME!
9. JADA “This Party’s On Fire” Video Extras Call & B-May pop quiz
This is our third Year 3 tie. See the first here and second here. The Number 9 spot is shared by Boston-based pop/R&B female vocal group, JADA, and Garland/Dallas-based hip pop/R&B artist, B-May.
First, is the JADA call for extras for their latest video, “This Party’s On Fire,” that will be released at the end of the month. It’s an interesting sort of post to make the countdown because it’s not the typical kind of post I usually feature and it features an act outside of the Austin/Texas area where I am based.
JADA is one of those acts that I developed a working relationship with and featured on more than one occasion in somewhat of a recurring capacity. It was mostly during Year 2 and, unfortunately, Year 2 material is no longer available online. That withstanding, the relationship persisted and that is why I was more than happy to post this call for them.
Austin used to be called the third coast (not sure if that’s so anymore) in the film industry because of all the filmmaking that went on here in addition to in L.A. and New York. Boston kind of became my third coast (in addition to Austin and Texas) with this blog. I spent a summer north of there for an internship and I fell in love. A Texas boy in a New England town, it was bound to happen.
Though I have consciously featured Boston artists, I didn’t normally highlight that they were from there. In keeping with the throughline of the blog, I highlighted those that were Austin- and Texas-based, though secretly Boston was my third coast. In this case, I had to highlight the town because it is a call for extras and location is, obviously, important. Remember, though, I’ve featured local to international artists and indie to established artists as well, but because I live in Austin, grew up in El Paso, and am from Texas, I chose to include the cities from posts based in those regions in the titles of those posts.
Also, I’d like to point out that though there are a few artists that were featured more than once, in most cases, I only featured them once a month. I was very cognizant of the fact that I created a blog that was about featuring different artists. I didn’t want it to ever seem like THE REAL popolio had become the ‘whatever artist’ blog or website as all the artists featured already have their own official sites.
I also didn’t want visitors to think that it was always the same artists cycling through the content. Even if I had more than one feature pending for an artist, I would hold off on posting their next one the following month, if I had just posted one. If you look through the site, you’ll find a nice cross-section of artist types and artists genres.
B-May was the focus of my second January 2011 pop quiz interview. It posted on Friday, January 28, 2011. The focus of the first was Austin-based folk pop artist, Medicine Park, on Friday, January 14, 2011. That pop quiz interview already made an appearance on this countdown at the Year 3 Number 26 spot. Perhaps, mentioning B-May’s pop quiz in that post helped him climb to this spot.
B-May is an example of the artists from Texas where the city they’re based in is highlighted in the title of the post. With every artist, I would research what city they identified as being based in on their MySpace and/or Facebook Pages and/or official sites. If the artist was from Texas, it was important to me that I include the correct city they identify with and feel that they are representing. Note, in this case, it’s not just Dallas, it’s Garland/Dallas, which is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
See the original Wednesday, January 12, 2011 JADA post here — JADA Welcomes Extras for “This Party’s On Fire” Video Shoot 1/15/11 – Boston.
See all 28 Year 3 pop quiz interviews here.
28 Jan 2011 7 Comments
Genre: R&B/Pop/Hip Hop
Forthcoming Release: “Can I Live” Single (Point Blank Recordings)
Release Date: March 2011
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Mainstream
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (OR Both)??? Both. I definitely want to maintain my integrity and vision and stay true to myself, but why not try to make money while doing so?
3. Studio OR Stage? I love being creative in the studio and the atmosphere, but performing on stage and getting a great response after a performance feels great! Especially after the long hours of work put into my career as an artist.
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? I come from a spiritual family who puts God first in our lives, so it has definitely rubbed off on me in a positive light.
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? N/A
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my way of expressing thoughts and feelings that I may not normally say out loud.
7. I’m musically inspired by real life situations. Some of which are personal but not necessarily all, and of course, Michael Jackson.
8. If I could have made any music video it would have been “I Believe I Can Fly” by R. Kelly.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Gohan from Dragon Ball Z!
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to The Game on BET, Cookies, and Milk.
11. I make music because: It is my passion and a way to express my thoughts. I love to be creative and make people feel good in my songs.
12. I want my fans to: Just keep being supportive as they have been and let my music motivate them to go after their dreams.
13. If I could only share one thing about myself it would be: I am a huge sports fan! Haha, my favorite sport is basketball, but I am a hardcore football and baseball fan as well.
14. Wild Card! I was discovered on Twitter a year ago by my manager, Jonathon Sisco. He really embraced and believed in me. I’m proud to be a part of Point Blank Recordings!
15. I want my musical legacy to be: To have made a positive impact on people’s lives all around the world and to give inspiration to go after your dreams no matter what!
The music video B-May wishes he would have made!