23. The Jezabels pop quiz
18. Jon Sandler pop quiz
27. Larissa Ness pop quiz
01 Oct 2011 Leave a Comment
in MY TOP 10 Tags: 2011, Austin, Australia, Bazaarvoice, Bazaarvoice official band, BB Gun Johnny, Boston, Braids, Brooklyn, Clay Berkes, El Paso, El Paso Week, Elephant Sky, Feedback, freddie beat, Freddie Rodriguez, Girl in a Coma, Houston, Japan, Jewish, Jon Sandler, Kaydean, Larissa Ness, Medicine Park, Mexico, Neon Desert, Neon Desert Music Festival, New York, Peelander-Z, popolio, queer, Quiet Company, Room to Read, Room to Rock, San Antonio, She's a Tease, Stefani Vara, SXSW, SXSW 2011, The Jezabels, THE REAL popolio, The Shondes, TsuShiMaMiRe, Zonisphere Media Group, Zonisphere Recordings, Zonisphere Records
09 Sep 2011 2 Comments
in MY TOP 10 Tags: "Good Lie", "Temazcal", alternative, Black Market, Boston, Boston artists, Chicken Sandwich, El Paso, Elephant Sky, Erin Casey, folk, Japan, Mari, Mizue, Monsters of Folk, Peelander-Z, pop, punk, Raven, rock, Run Run, Run Run EP, Sex on the Beach, Strobo, Taylor Swift, Teen Titans, Texas, Tokyo, TsuShiMaMiRe, Yayoi
MY TOP 30: Year 3 Posts of ALL-TIME!
22. TsuShiMaMiRe 10Q & Elephant Sky pop quiz
This is our second Year 3 tie. See the first here. The Number 22 spot is shared by Japanese punk band, TsuShiMaMiRe, and Brooklyn-based folk pop artist, Elephant Sky.
This is the first Questions for post on the countdown not written by myself. It was written by one-time freelance contributor, Deanna Fierro. At the time, she was based in El Paso and TsuShiMaMiRe had a gig scheduled there.
She interviewed them the night of that show and even got a photographer to take pictures. So, there is also a show pic-olio associated with this interview. See the TsuShiMaMiRe pic-olio shot by Refractive Elements Studio here. Deanna also reviewed the show here.
My thought with taking on Deanna was that, being from El Paso myself, I wanted to try to feature more El Paso Artists and happenings in the Sun City. In this case, it worked.
Elephant Sky was the focus of my second June 2011 pop quiz interview. It posted on Friday, June 24, 2011. The focus of the first was Kaydean on Friday, June 10, 2011. That pop quiz interview already made an appearance on this countdown at the Year 3 Number 25 spot. Perhaps, mentioning Elephant Sky’s pop quiz in that post helped her climb to this spot.
At some point, Brooklyn-based artists became common here at THE REAL popolio. Not sure why or how that is exactly. Don’t know if there is just a lot of musical talent in that particular New York borough or if it’s just coincidence.
In some cases, the artists I feature are connected to one another. I kind of work on referrals sometimes or I refer myself to a related artist. Or they see what’s come before and they find me. Either way, I ended up covering Austin, the rest of Texas, Boston a little bit (because I have an affinity for it), and Brooklyn through the years.
See the original Thursday, December 2, 2010 TsuShiMaMiRe post here — EXCLUSIVE 10 Questions for TsuShiMaMiRe — EP.
See all 17 Year 3 Questions for interviews here.
See all 28 Year 3 pop quiz interviews here.
24 Jun 2011 1 Comment
Name: Elephant Sky
Debut Release: Run, Run EP (Self-Released)
Release Date: September 1, 2010
This, That, or the Other
1. Underground OR Mainstream? Underground
2. Maintain Artistic Integrity and Vision OR Make a lot of Money? (OR Both)??? Maintain Artistic Integrity, but be able to relate to lots of people.
3. Studio OR Stage? Ooh, both are completely different and beautiful settings. I’d say Studio if I had to cause it’s where I can disappear for hours/days.
4. Spirituality OR Hedonism? Both. It depends on the day and my current mood. I’m awful at this section, it’s not so clear cut to me. Haha!
5. Make Love, Have Sex, OR %$*!? BOTH! I think I’d rather have Making Love if I HAD to choose, although with the right person you could be doing both at the same time, right?
Fill in the Blank
6. Music is my safety blanket.
7. I’m musically inspired by nature.
8. If I could have made any music video it would have been “Temazcal” by Monsters of Folk.
9. If I was a super hero I’d be Raven.
10. Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll should change to _________________, ________________, and __________________. (OR Not) Stay how it is!
11. I make music because: I need it. Everyone needs to find that one thing or place where they can drain the world from their pores and just be still. Music is mine.
12. I want my fans to: Love the life they’re living. The music I aspire to create is music that isn’t just notes or chords, but emotions and stories. I want that to translate.
13. If I could only share one thing about myself it would be: I’m most comfortable on a huge southern porch with a few of my closest friends making music than in an overcrowded house show somewhere in the city.
14. Wild Card! I kind of have an obsession with Taylor Swift that I hate admitting, but when no one’s home, I definitely dance around to her in my undies like I’m 13 again.
15. I want my musical legacy to be: That throughout the years my music is a constant journey that fans travel with me on.
The video Elephant Sky wishes she would have made!